5 Things You Need to Know Today, Aug. 13
A special selectmen meeting, a musical comedy show and a nice day with mostly sunny skies.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, Aug. 13. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny, warm: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 88 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 63.
- Public meetings: The Board of Selectmen is meeting at 5 p.m. this evening in the Town Hall Annex basement meeting room for a strategic planning session. The Recreation Commission is meeting at 7 p.m. in the meeting room at Burlington High School.
- Comedy show: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a "Silly Laughing Musical Fun Poetry Show" featuring comedy musician Jeff Nathan. During the show you'll see giant a fly, a flying Jeff Nathan, a fly ball, and Jeff getting soaked with flying water as he sings a different version of that famous French song "Alouette" (All Wet).
- "Like" us today: Did you know that Burlington Patch has a Facebook page? We post updates throughout the day and invite friends to comment on links, pictures and stories. Join in the conversation by "liking" our page by clicking here. Last count we were at 694 followers and we'd really like to hit 700!
- No shoes, no shirt... No dice! On this day in 1982, the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High premiered. The movie, written by Cameron Crowe, told the story of several teens in high school. Although many memorable characters came out of the movie, the cult favorite has to be Sean Penn's Spicoli. Nicolas Cage and Forest Whitaker were also in the movie, but in small roles, along with Judge Reinhold and Eric Stoltz.